Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Pane di Como Antico o Pane Francese aka French Bread

So today's foodstuff seems pretty simple, after all what could be complex about a loaf of french bread? Well, there is more then meets the eye to french bread. The last bread I made required only a simple starter, made only a handful of hours before the bread it self is started. The french bread calls for what the author called Biga. Biga is a more traditional starter in that you must have it from the day before where its spent the whole day rising and producing more yeast cells. My biga seemed to work well and its consistency is that is super sticky chewing gum. The kind that you can never get off your hands or shoes no matter how much you try.

The dough is rising in its oiled bowl now. I tend to use olive oil for my baking. I have no clue if this is the right thing to do. I know that olive oil has a much lower burn temperature then other oils. But it feels right to be using it when doing italian baking. After this rise is over I will be splitting the dough into two loaves and setting it for the second rise.

Here is the dough being put into the oven. My baker's peel still hasn't arrived in the mail yet so I was forced to use parchment paper this time around. As I am typing this my kitchen is filled with the fantastic smell of fresh baked bread.
The finished bread:

No comments:

Post a Comment