Thursday, September 10, 2009

Pane all'Olio

Well today I was supposed to do Ciabatta bread. But like a fool I did not read the recipe close enough and didn't set Biga to rise the night below. So tomorrow I will do the Ciabatta bread and tonight I am making Pane all'Olio or Olive Oil Bread.

This bread will be taking the form of a wreath of small rolls each to be broken off and eaten from the circle in turn. The author suggests serving it with various meats or anti pasta. So I will try it with some cheese once the bread is done.

Well the bread got off to a good start. I let my starter sit a little extra longer then I should have but that helped get yeast throughout the dough and it has more then doubled during the first hour and a half rise.

After the first rise I had to break the dough into several parts. The book said 12 to 14 rolls should come out of each batch. Unfortunately, I am working in less then ideal conditions and have a rather small oven. So I had to do two wreaths of 5 with 2 extras being baked by themselves.

Well the rolls have come out of the oven now and they smell fantastic. A lot like the bread you would get at an italian restaurant. Which would make sense considering the book I am using.

Finished Rolls:

I must add, after everyone tried it they all agreed this bread has been the best I have made so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment